Durostorum is located on the Danube riverbank, underneath the contemporary town of Silistra, 120 km to the northeast of Rousse. It is the ending point of the present-day Bulgarian section of the river. Within the territory of the village of Ostrov in Romania is located the vicus of Durostorum. The fort is localized on the base of field observation work by Karel Skorpil and Mihail Vankov in 1905. In the second half of the 20th century during construction activities different archaeological structures are registered, but systematic excavations in Silistra were initiated in 1969 in relation to the building of the new quay wall. With public act of the Council of Ministers from 1971, large part of Silistra is promulgated a “National Archaeological Reserve Durostorum-Drastar-Silistra”. In 2015 in relation to the change and renewal of the water-supply system, in Silistra was conducted rescue archaeological excavations. Graves were examined as well as parts of buildings from the Roman and subsequent periods. Among the more notable structures are a fortification wall around the canabae and a church with necropolis from the First and the Second Bulgarian Kingdoms.