The literal translation of the name Sexaginta Prista is “sixty ships”. The name Sexaginta Prista was also used for the Early Roman camp, built in the time of Emperor Domitian, as well as by the studied Late Roman fortification on the Danube riverbank. On the base of the distances between the military forts along the Danube, marked in the Roman road maps, Felix Kanitz determined the location of within the outlines of the contemporary town of Rousse. It is located immediately next to the Danube riverbank, close to the mouth of the Rousse Lom river, within the yard of the Officers’ Club. Evidence about the first “research” activities on the territory of Sexaginta Prista is given by Karel Skorpil. They took place in 1878, when the Catholic abbot of Rousse excavated a “building with mosaics”. The first rescue excavations are conducted in 1976-1978 and were directed by the archaeologist Dimitar Stanchev. At the end of 2014 during excavations for a fence of the Officers’ Club, a fortification wall was revealed, which caused new rescue excavations. In 2015-2016 were studied another 400 sq. m. and sections of the south-eastern fortification wall, a U-shaped tower and buildings from the 4th - 6th century were revealed.